Friday, May 15, 2009

Bee Day in Monroe

When our bees arrive, it is usually a BIG day here. Lots of buzzing around!! And, I mean by humans. It is very exciting on Bee Day because it means that spring is finally here for us.This is just one package of bees. I won't bore you with the details because mainly this is a card and scrapbook blog, however, you can be sure that I will be scrapbooking these pictures.
There are about 12,000 bees per package along with one queen. Ed and I got three packages this year.
The up close picture is of the queen and some attendants. She is marked for us so that we can replace her every two years or so. The colors are changed yearly so that you know how old the queen is.
The next picture is of a frame with honey on it. The frame after that is foundation. The bees draw out the comb for food and brood.
The two pictures after that are of me putting the bees in the hives. Honeybees are generally not defensive at this point because they do not have a hive to defend.
I can't wait to scrapbook these pictures. The colors are magnificient. The leaves and of course, the hives.





No comments:

Post a Comment